cause it looks adorable on a plate
This is all tofu.
Ok, the lettuce and tomatoes are real.
It cracks me up how many people say they hate tofu but want to eat egg whites as a healthy alternative to eggs. Anyway, here is a recipe you could try:
1 t. salt
2 C. (480 ml) warm water
1 lb. (450 g) firm tofu (for egg whites)
1/2 lb. (225 g) firm tofu (for filling)
1/2 C. (120 ml) + 1 T. Vegenaise
or other soy mayonnaise
1/2 t. dry mustard
3/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
3/4 t. turmeric
2t. rice vinegar
(some use 1/2 sp of vegan worcestershire sauce, too, I don't. I've never even seen any.)
1. EGG WHITES: Combine salt and water in a large baking dish, and stir well to dissolve the salt. Set aside.
2. Drain and rinse the 1 lb. (450 g) of tofu. Cut tofu into one-half-inch (1 cm) thick slices vertically, Cut each slice in half to become 2 pieces that are almost square. Using a small paring knife, form each square into an oval, imitating the shape of a hard-boiled egg cut in half.
3. Then, with a small spoon, carefully scoop out the centers of each of the ovals to form a cavity. Marinate all the prepared ovals in the salt water while preparing the filling. Add cut-away pieces to filling.
4. FILLING: Drain and rinse the 1/2 lb. (225 g) tofu. Using the fingers, crumble the tofu into a medium-size mixing bowl.
5. Add remaining ingredients except the paprika and cherry tomatoes, and stir well to blend thoroughly. Adjust seasonings to taste if needed.
6. Drain "egg whites" on several layers of paper towels, and fill cavities with prepared filling.
7. Sprinkle the tops with paprika and arrange on a lettuce-lined platter leaving the center open. Fill the center with cherry tomatoes. Makes about 16 halves.
I should post recipes more often. I have some good ones. If you used to love potato salad, go get some vegenaise and love it again. Cut pieces of firm tofu in there and no one will be able to tell you it's not egg white.
I wish i would have posted this around easter but Im so lazy
did you know painting eggs is a tradition the christians stole from the pagens